Monday, November 5, 2012

12. What a fun action packed day I had today

BOY HOWDY!!

What a fun action packed day I had today.

It started fighting traffic for nearly 2 hours on a 35.2 mile one way trip in bumper to bumper traffic, (that would normally take about 45 minutes to an hour to do), to get the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle where I will be getting the clinical trial at.

Then I had to wait for a little over a ½ hour to get my blood drawn as the lab wa
s really backed up this morning.
And they took no less than 12 vials of blood for the trial. I guess they are gonna test for every known blood test conceivable to man on this trial!


After that we had a 4 hour wait for my next scheduled test, so my wife and I got to run downtown and have some breakfast as I was starving because this had to be a fasting blood test. And then we goofed around for a bit.
Then she had to drag me back to the cancer center for my (drum roll please), “BONE MARROW BIOPSY”!
Let me tell you the nurse who did this one was the absolute best! The shot to numb the bone hurt worse than the procedure itself. Oh, I did feel it let me tell you that, but I have had dental work that hurt a heck of lot more before.  And I had quite an audience for the procedure. The trial coordinator herself and her assistant had to witness the procedure (just to make sure it was me), and get a vial of the juice out of my bone marrow to send directly to the company who is footing the bill for the trial. 
Now my poor tushie hurts!
Then I had to get a EKG, then a doctor visit followed by another visit by the trial coordinator. 
So 8 hours after I got to the cancer center we got to go home!

Now I get to go back Wednesday morning for the MUGA test, and 4 hours after that I get a CT Scan.
But one good thing on my blood work is my platelets are now at 68! And the kidney function is now within normal range, so drowning myself in water for a week and cutting my caffeine in half really worked on that. Now I get to go back Wednesday morning for the MUGA test, and 4 hours after that I get a CT Scan.
As this comming Monday the 12th is a holiday, it looks like the trial will start shortly after that pending all of the tests.

Never Ever Give Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment